Rocky Point Golf Course

Home History Instruction

The GOLF Store

History
 
In 1911 the Tampa Automobile Club opened for business, making it one of the first golf courses in Florida. In 1942 the club was closed down because of World War II.
 
The Federal Government turned the club into a part of Drew Field. Barracks were built to hold prisoners of war. In 1953 the Government turned the property over to the City of Tampa for $1.
Consequently, the City of Tampa leased the course to J.S. Curly Hartman for 25 years. Curly and his wife, Merle were from Mason City, Iowa. Rocky Point Golf Course reopened in June of 1954. Merle took over operations when Curly passed in 1957. In December of 1963 a third nine was added.
In 1978, after the lease expired the City of Tampa turned over operations to the Tampa Sports Authority.
 
In December of 1981, Mayor Bob Martinez leased 40+ acres of Rocky Point Golf Course to Critikon Corporation for 99 years in return for a 1.2 million dollar redesign. This included the return from 27 holes to 18 holes. The course reopened on March 5, 1983. The new clubhouse was built and opened in July, 1993.
 

The GOLF Store

Home History Instruction
2017 @Copyright RockyPointGC.com